To keep up with technology, you need to monitor trends and patterns among users in specific contexts constantly. Whether in the workplace or school, a technology survey is an effective way to determine what stakeholders think about using technology.
The right technology survey questions help you discover insights and establish patterns around users’ behaviors and technology perceptions. With this data, you can accurately measure people’s skills, identify any technological knowledge gaps and take time to plan for improvements.
A technological survey is a method of gathering insights on software, tools, and relevant tech skills in a particular context. Technology surveys have a broad range—from being used to find out how tech-savvy your target audience is to conducting market research and collecting product feedback.
For instance, a school can conduct a technology survey to determine how much students know about the internet or how well students use the internet for learning. The data gathered through this process can help the students improve their knowledge as needed.
A student technology survey is a research-based method of discovering your students' knowledge and perception of technology. It typically outlines relevant survey questions that allow the students to share their experiences with technology within and outside your school. With a student technology survey, you can understand how to use technology more effectively to benefit students.
Technology is a vital part of 21st-century learning. By conducting a student technology survey, the school's administration and stakeholders can have more precise knowledge about students' attitudes towards technology and how technology can effectively improve learning.
For instance, before introducing 100% online learning to your school, you need to administer a student technology survey to know what the students think about this idea. The survey would help you to answer questions like: Do the students love online learning? Do they have prior experience with online learning? What challenges have they faced in the past with online learning?
The responses to these survey questions will guide you on the best way to execute this idea. If your students think online learning is exciting, you can introduce it right away. However, if they have some reservations, you need to handle them first before introducing online learning.
1. Do you have any previous experience with online learning?
2. What are your thoughts about online learning?
3. On a scale of 1–5, how would you rate the school's preparedness for online learning?
4. Outline 3 things you like about online learning.
5. What three things do you dislike about online learning?
4. Do you own an internet-enabled device?
5. How comfortable are you with sourcing relevant information on the internet?
6. Would you need any help with adapting to online learning?
7. How can we make your online learning experience better?
8. How often do you use a computer away from school?
9. Have you ever used the internet to complete a school task?
Parent technology survey is a data-collection process that helps you determine what parents think about using technology in your school. Parent technology survey also allows the parents to assess submitting technology in their teaching and learning methods.
Like other types of parent surveys, this research method aims to understand the parents’ opinions, points of view, and attitudes towards technology as it affects their children in the school. It plays an essential part in aligning your school's goals with the expectations of the parents.
Let's go back to our online learning example. Even if the students are excited and ready for online learning, you also need their parents to understand and support your new initiative. After conducting the student technology survey, you need to find out what parents think about the subject. Administering a parent technology survey with open-ended and Likert questions will help you gather real-time insights from the parents for better decision-making.
1. What do you think about technology?
2. On a scale of 1–10, rate the importance of technology in learning?
3. I encourage my children to use technology for their school work.
4. The school provides adequate access to technological tools for learning.
5. How would you rate your child's computer skills?
6. How often does your child use the internet for assignments?
7. Does your ward have any experience with online learning?
8. How can we improve the use of technology in the school?
9. Do you support the use of gadgets during learning? (Phones, laptops)
9. Please suggest three ways to improve the online learning experience.
10. Does your child have access to the internet at home?
A teacher technology survey allows you to discover how proficient your teachers are with technology. Here, you can get first-hand information on your teachers' technological skills and how well they use different tools and software.
Teacher technology surveys are used for teacher assessments. From the responses given, you can identify any knowledge gaps and plan for training programs and workshops that address the challenges teachers face with technology.
A teacher technology survey is also an effective way to gather feedback on your school’s existing tech-driven methods. You can ask your teachers to rate students' performances before and after the teaching method was introduced and to also highlight areas needing improvement.
1. How familiar are you with online teaching methods?
2. What online teaching tools are you familiar with? Choose all the options that apply.
3. What tools do you use for educational assessment in the classroom? Choose all that applies.
4. How would you rate your proficiency in technology?
5. How would you rate our school's use of technology in learning and teaching?
6. List three specific areas we need to improve in the use of technology for teaching.
7. Do you use any online tools to plan your lessons?
8. On a scale of 1–10, how integrated is your teaching process with technology?
9. List 3 challenges you have faced with the use of technology in the classroom.
10. List three new tech skills you are looking to learn this year.
11. How can we support your use of technology in the classroom?
Also known as a staff technology survey, this method collects valuable data on employees' perceptions and knowledge of different workplace software and tech tools. Employee technology survey also helps the organization's management assess the staff's proficiency levels and understand how they use technology to execute tasks faster.
This survey method provides in-depth primary research insights into workplace technologies. It helps you to discover any knowledge gaps and define strategies to speed up the adoption of relevant industry technology in your organization.
1. To what extent has tech made your work more efficient?
2. Which tech tools do you use most frequently in your job?
3. The organization uses technology to achieve its objectives.
4. What tools are complex for you to use?
5. Please suggest three ways to improve the use of technology in the workplace.
6. Do you keep up with technological trends and changes related to your job?
7. What are your top 3 tech skills?
8. Please mention three ways we can use technology to improve our organization's process.
9. How often do you take courses on workplace technology?
10. How have you used technology to improve communication within your team?
11. How have you used technology to improve feedback within your team?
You can create different types of technology surveys on Formplus in no time with our drag-and-drop form builder. Formplus has more than 30 features that you can access to create beautiful and functional forms for technology surveys.
Follow these steps to create and administer your first Formplus technology survey.
1. Visit the Formplus website to sign up for a new account if you don't have one. Fill in the requested information and follow the prompts to create your free account easily.
2. Sign into your account and click on the "create new form" button to access the form builder immediately.
3. On the far left of the builder, you will find the form fields section. Here, there are more than 30 field options that you can drag and drop into your survey.
4. After adding your preferred fields, click on the pencil icon beside each field to edit it. You can add your questions and answer options to each field in the form edit tab.
5. Click on the save icon to save all the changes you have made to the survey. This also takes you to the builder's customization section automatically.
6. In the form customization section, you can change your form’s look and feel without writing a single line of code. Choose your preferred form theme, choose another font and change the font size, among other things, as you want.
7. Copy the form link and share it with respondents. You can also send out email invitations to respondents.
8. Track the responses and other data in our form analytics dashboard.
In this article, we have examined the different types of technology surveys based on various contexts. Technology surveys help individuals and organizations to keep up with the changing trends and align with the best industry practices.
To get valuable insights, you must ask good technology survey questions. A good technology survey question is easy to understand and asks the respondents for one piece of information at a time. You should avoid vague questions and other bad survey questions that can be misleading.
You may also like:
Survey and questionnaire are two different words that are commonly alleged to be synonyms, and as such are used interchangeably. However, ...
Imagine a case where you have to draft a note and drop it in your office suggestion box before you could pass your ideas or feedback, that ...
At one point or the other, you must have participated in an online poll. Perhaps, it popped up on a friend’s Instagram story or you came ...
For many years, questionnaires have been a popular data collection tool during research. Questionnaires are very diverse and easily ...